Friday, November 14, 2008

Update on Fitness

For those of you who have been around for a while you will recall that I adopted the Paul McKenna system for weight management. It's been some time since I have reported on how it's going. Here's how it's going....

I got bored.

The results were that I stalled around the 295 mark and oscillated up and down a few pounds.

As I pondered the system I realized that the key concept is to devote exclusive time to eating. That is, you single task while eating. No TV, movies, newspaper, talking, etc. Well I will tell you that you have to have some extraordinary time committments to allow this process but more importantly you must be eating food that is just as extraordinary.

I ate and was bored.

I watched TV and was bored.

I read the paper and was bored.

I found that eating and watching/reading were an excellent combination to satisfy my active mind (read that ADD-though remember I was born when ADD didn't exist. In truth I am probably ADDDDDDDDD).

So I stalled; relapsed.

Sort of.

I remembered Paul McKenna's teaching that people will eat mindlessly until they are overfull. I came to know how much food it takes to really give me a comfortable feeling of fullness when I was engaged strictly to his process. Now I make sure that I only have that much food in front of me when I read the paper, watch a movie, etc. When I am done I don't feel overfull nor have I ingested more calories than I need.

Then I ran into the temple on Wednesday mornings and hit a snag. Basically I leave the house at 4:30am and don't have a chance to eat until 12:30pm. No brunch for the Wednesday AM workers. I was feeling a little hypoglycemic about 10:30am. So I adopted a new process.

The 100 calories per hour diet.

I maintain 100 calories per hour thoughout the day. A 16 hour day generates 1600 calories. 20 hour day; 2000 calories. And so on. If you're up and active for a longer time you get more fuel. Less active then less fuel.

On Wednesday I stoke up on a higher calorie breakfast than usual and it gets me through very well and I still maintain the 100 cal/hour balance.

I maintain the McKenna practice of avoiding mindless eating and so far so good.

Well see how it goes. Next report will be in 2009.

Good luck to all my friends of abundance.

1 comment:

Rebecca Pierce said...

I like the 100 calorie per hour idea. I've never thought of that. Why when I am fat, uncomforable all the time, my knees sounds like rachets (sp?) and I can't get pregnant, can I not find the motivation? I don't get it. I don't want to be 20 pounds heavier in five years...but I don't want to count my calories either.

La Boheme

Why I Love Opera!