Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Loved or Liked--The final analysis.

I will begin with an apology. This topic was far too poignant to be addressed in this format.

Next let me thank those who participated in comment and survey. Your insights were extraordinary and have resulted in much deep pondering in the quiet dark hours at home, in the mindless moments in the car as well as in the light of the temple. I see no conflict in any of the responses. You are all correct.

It was suggested we needed a new word to describe this feeling of love/like we have for our dear ones. It reminded me of the following scriptural dissertation describing how the meaning of love was distorted as it was changed from the Greek to English:

First consider the meaning of the word love in John 21: 15-17 (KJV); "So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (agapao) thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (phileo) thee. He saith unto him, feed my lambs. {16} He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (agapao) thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love (phileo) thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. {17} He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest (phileo) thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest (phileo) thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love (phileo) thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep."
The original Greek work for love was inserted within the verses above. The Strong’s definition for agapao is to love in a social or moral sense (of the head). Phileo is a love for a friend or to have affection for someone (of the heart).
Why did Jesus use the word agapao in his question to Peter the first two times and phileo the last time? Why did Peter answer phileo all three times? Phileo carries the thought of action based on emotional or heart feelings for family or friends. The love Jesus expressed, which is the same as God’s, included a phileo love, but it was a higher type of love based on a true moral sense. Agapao is a love without a feeling of obligation. Jesus asked Peter to preach to the sheep (Israel) without requiring him to first love them.
Consider John 3: 16 (KJV), "For God so loved (agapao) the world, that He gave His only begotten son." Mankind, having fallen into sin (Romans 5: 12, 19) was disobedient and failed to love to do His will. The best that man could achieve was a phileo love for God. Yet, Christ’s love was
such as that it was fully obedient. (Romans 13: 10)
Additional usage of the word agapao is shown in the word love used in Matthew 5: 43-46. Also mankind’s love (phileo) was shown by the scribes in Luke 20: 46.
Finally consider love in Romans 12: 9, 10 (KJV), "Let love (agape, from the word agapao) be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. {10} Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love (philadelphia, fraternal or brotherly affection).
By reviewing the Greek word with its definition, a deeper and clearer understanding of the word love can be seen. To truly love God, we need to develop a higher level of love, an agape love.

(http://www.blessedbible.com/newsletters/ToKnowGod.pdf)

I love Diane. After 38 years I'm still discovering how.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done, sir! I remember from my mission in Jacksonville, FL, some of the folks we taught were steeped in this discussion of agape love. We had had numerous discussions to help clarify some of the differences. It was very mind-opening. There is a lot of spirituality in the deep south and we loved it all! Thanks for the quote, it brought back such great memories of a wonderful time in my life. -Timmy

La Boheme

Why I Love Opera!