Monday, May 12, 2008

My Dogs are Barking!


My dogs are barking is an old time expression for sore feet. I suffer from this condition everytime I begin a new exercise regimen. Last week I learned two really cool things. First, Neovita can help me avoid plantar fasciitis and second, I exercise too much!



What?



That can't be right!?!



Well...I discovered that the difference in exercise between the typical thin person and the typical overweight person in only 2000 extra steps per day. That is the equivalent of a 15 minute walk.






My problem is that when I exercise I try to do too much, get hurt, burned out, run out of time, get frustrated because I don't know how to keep the balance of my life together and still find the 80-90 minutes a day it takes to:



Decide to go to the Gym



Change my clothes



Drive to the Gym



Exercise (for 30 minutes according to my MD, 60 minutes according to my trainer)



Drive home



Shower



Get dressed.





Oh, the other factor is that I don't have to walk for 15 straight minutes. It can be one or two minutes at a time rather than the required 30 minutes of aerobic exercise recommended by people who are in the business of selling aerobic exercise machines or those influenced by those who sell aerobic exercise machines.





15 minutes will ramp up the metabolism sufficent to help me become thin.





I'm now using the stairs in the temple instead of the escalator.





I'll let you know how it works in a year.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Troy has been wearing a pedometer for a while now. It's been really interesting for a couple of reasons.

It has been a motivator for him to get up and going. He walks 2 miles to work and during his lunch break he grabs his audio book and headphones and goes for a walk. He usually gets between 10,000 and 15,000 steps on a normal day (not counting his workout at the gym). When he first got his pedometer he was walking between 5 and 7,000 steps a day.

The other interesting thing to see is when he has a super-stressful or busy day he comes home exhausted. We used to think it was just the emotional drain but even though on these days he doesn't have time to get his lunch walk in, he's still getting over 10,000 steps...no wonder he's so worn out.

Rebecca Pierce said...

That is interesting! You are well on your way to being skinny, keep up the good work. I have been trying to think like a skinny person and I've lost 8 pounds! It helps to think, "I'm not going to eat that because my skinny friends wouldn't" instead of, "I'm so fat, one more can't hurt."

La Boheme

Why I Love Opera!