Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Harbor is more than just a noun


What comes to your mind when you think of the word "harbor"? Is it a place of refuge, safety, rest, security or calm? If you have been a mariner then all of these definitions ring true. I remember the comfort I felt piloting a boat through the mouth of a snug harbor leaving behind the tumultuous seas. It's especially poignant at night.
If harbor means a place of "goodness" then why do we treat it so callously when we use the word as a verb? It seems like the only thing we associate harbor with as a verb is from the "dark" side of life. We harbor grudges, ill will or fugitives. Well that is certainly out of place! "Harbor has no free will to decide how it will be used. It is innocent. Yet when it is used in connection with evil it becomes even more sinister adding a sense of betrayal to the meaning.
I suggest that we form the "Safe Harbor" society and begin using the verb harbor in a more positive light. For example,
"I'm going to harbor some cherry cheesecake."
"Are you harboring a birthday present for me?"
"Dude, you harbored an awesome move on your skateboard!"
Let's relegate grudges, ill will and fugitives to where they belong, the basement.
Right now I'm heading to Subway where I will ask my sandwich artist to harbor a single jalapeno in my "Veggie Delight" on Honey Oat bread.
No, not toasted but thanks for asking.

2 comments:

Rebecca Pierce said...

Good call! How'd you think of that? I guess if you are a sea man, you would. Poor little innocent harbor. I harbor only the best harbor thoughts from now on!

Amanda said...

OK so if we harbor fugitives or hard feelings, what we're doing is providing safe haven for these things. Really it reflects on us, not the harbor. We embrace things that are evil so we are bad. The harbor is still, in essence, good.

I agree that we have maligned poor harbors with this. I think we are letting ourselves (or the terrorist protectors) off the hook a little bit by pure association with such a peaceful metaphor.

I harbor this "modest proposal" of yours and it has opened my eyes a little bit to the other words I use to make myself feel harbored...pet is another one we freely associate with peeves, sins and other yucky things.

La Boheme

Why I Love Opera!