Monday, April 28, 2008

Hi, I'm Alex Trebek and this is Jeopardy

I remember when Jeopardy was hosted by Art Fleming instead of Alex Trebek and a person had to stand behind the Jeopardy board and pull the cards manually. Ah, Jeopardy in its purest form (Hey when did its lose it's apostrophe?). I of course thought the concept dorky then but now that I am old it begins to appeal to me, like Sudoku.

Nevertheless my quirky spin is to move to something humorous.

So... the Jeopardy catagory today is Punchlines.

What jokes belong to these famous punchlines?

(And remember please frame it in the form of a question. Of course as in real Jeopardy there is no penalty if you don't because Alex will just remind you. But be aware, the other Jeopardy geeks will mock you and it will be a mocking that you won't soon forget!)

Let's Play Jeopardy!

A garbage truck.

Go to the Mooovies.

Because people are dying to get in!

Two oboes playing in unison.

The word is "Celebrate".

Under the Lone Ranger.

Lean Beef.

Ground Hog.

It doesn't matter, he won't come anyway.

I tell you, I just read these punchlines and I'm giggling without even thinking about the set up.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

OK I think I just deleted my post so if it shows up twice then I'm just a technical idiot and that's not news.

I couldn't figure out the Lone Ranger one but this one makes me laugh:

The Lone Ranger is riding into town when he finds Tonto lying across
the middle of the road with his head pressed closely against the
ground. He reigns in Silver and leans down to ask Tonto what the
matter is.

"Stagecoach passed half-hour ago," says Tonto.

"How can you tell?" asks the Lone Ranger.

"Broke my neck."

Here's my guess on the other one I didn't know:

What did the farmer rename Wilbur after Charlotte sold out to the meat processing plant?

And then here are my Punchlines of the day:

Because there was a chicken stapled to his hat

Santa Claus walking backwards

He stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog

There's no use crying over split milk

Baby elephants

No Eye Deer

Oh that's ok. The soup isn't hot.

Tooth-hurty

Pb said...

Gold is where you find it but where do you find silver?

Rebecca Pierce said...

I can't comment on the punchlines, but Chris will, I'm sure. I'll have to show him your post in the morning. I can't think out of order like that...I'm for questions first all the way.

The "its" question is a good one. I've pondered this question many times. Here is what I've observed, though I don't know if I am 100% right (but I think I am, of course).
I know that when you are using "its" as a conjunction, forming one word from two, like "it is," you insert an apostrophe in place of the missing "i".

When you are using "its" to show posession, you never use an apostrophe. Maybe there are other uses for its or it's, but I can't think of more than those two. So...if you are noticing a lacking of apostrophes, maybe it is because everyone is brushing up on their grammar!

La Boheme

Why I Love Opera!