Friday, April 4, 2008

Poet Tree-trochaic monometer


We're introducing a new segment on the show that we like to call the Poet Tree. There is a weather worn little tree just down the road from my office between the railroad tracks and Traffic Avenue; just South of the Hwy 410 westbound onramp. In the warm summers of my early forties I would sit beneath it's shade and read poetry. Browning, Dickinson, Nash, Poe, Smith, McConkie, Hinckley, Isaiah and Longfellow would sit with me and we would share our deepest thoughts and our sanity would be restored.
I invite my new friends to share their favorite poems, original or not.
Today is "trochaic monometer" day.
"Lines on the Antiquity of Microbes"
by Strickland Gillilan (1869-1954)
Adopted title: "Fleas"
-
Adam
Had'em
-
Note the single meter in each line (monometer) and the two syallable meter with the emphasis on the first syllable (trochee). Mr. Gillilan is credited with the world's shortest couplet. As the definitions of poetic form do not include one syllable poems my offering does not qualify to compete though it is short.
"The Dieter's Delight"
by Paul W. Bryan
Adopted title: "Fifty Two Stout"
-
It
Fit
-

2 comments:

Rebecca Pierce said...

Sometimes I don't "get" things on your blog. I'm not smart or clever enough or something. Anyway, after a while, I got the "Fleas" poem. Wish I could contribute, but I hated those classes about poetry and tropes and feet and all that. No, gracias. I once got a Hiaku published in the fifth grade.

"Birds sing endlessly
My heart dances to the tune
While I am silent"

I remember writing it and thinking about the hiaku movie we were shown wiht all this water dripping on leaves and stuff, and I tried to get really deep even though I was really only in 5th grade and if I'd been honest wiht my poem it would have read somthing like this:

"Josh is super cute
Someday I will marry him
He'd sure be lucky"

I knew the teacher liked the birds bit better, and boy did she. I think Josh might have been a little impressed as well becaue I think he threw rocks at me on the way home from school that day. My mom told me that was flirting. I totally loved it when he threw rocks at me after that.

HoneyGram & Papa said...

I saw the title, then the picture - my mouth dropped open then it smiled. What a delightful memory of a little walk, a light lunch and poetry, under the Poet Tree.

La Boheme

Why I Love Opera!