Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Fabulous Fitness Forum Formed







Come join the forum. It's for men and women. Fit or unfit. Go at your own pace.
Many thanks to Emily Marttala for reminding me that I am going to climb High Rock this Summer. She has inspired me to form the Fabulous Fitness Forum to help me achieve my goal. Our first meeting (all invited) will be at Shari's Restaurant near Top Foods at 9am on Saturday morning. There is no charge to become a member of the forum except for any breakfast you may enjoy. We will discuss various strategies on fitness and happiness. Our discussions will start promptly at 9am.






Two requirements to join.


1. Medical approval to participate (honor code).


2. You have to walk (or bike) to the meeting location (rain or shine-dress appropriately). (Kids in strollers, OK) (Kayaks, OK but the asphalt is tough on the hull).


Oooh, I know!

It's 2.5 miles for me. 5 miles round trip.

Now for some that would not be prudent, reasonable or healthy. However there is nothing to stop us from driving part way and walking the rest (even if it means parking at Lowe's hardware and walking through the parking lot). I am likely to drive half way and plan a three mile walk instead of a five mile walk.

Always, always, always, walk with a partner. You can alternate. This week drive to their house and walk from there. Next week they can come to your house.

(Are you falling into the trap that I am? That is, always planning to drive to their house because it's closer to the restaurant? That suggests to the mind that I am not capable of walking the longer distance; that it is beyond my ability to sustain. Poppycock. Rubbish. To be sure we should be prudent and walk as much as our body will allow but we should remember that we are capable of walking from Nauvoo to Salt Lake City.

More to this point. I was asked if I could speak Russian. I assured the interrogator that I can speak Russian, French, Japanese, German, Spanish, Guarani and Portugese. It's just that I haven't learned them yet. Can I walk five miles? Yes, emphatically yes. Is it prudent to do so yet? Perhaps not. I'll start with three and move up to five.
So....see you there.

Watch the BLOG for updates on our next meeting, (usually weekly), and location. Our final August meeting will be at the top of High Rock.




1 comment:

Rebecca Pierce said...

So after exherting all the energy walking, I'm wondering what there could possibly be on the Shari's menu that wouldn't reverse the calories you just burned. We'll be doing Easter suff Saturday, but have a nice walk (and a glass of water at Shari's)! H.G. Bistro is great for more wholesome foods and less processed options.

La Boheme

Why I Love Opera!