Thursday, March 27, 2008

Triple F Meeting Report-Lions and Tigers and Conscious Eating, Oh my!


The Fabulous Fitness Forum met Wednesday evening and enjoyed the second episode of "I Can Make You Thin."




Pretty wild stuff. Those who have had a chance to try it say that it works. Time will tell.


The number one item of discussion was conscious eating. Comments include:


"It's not going to be as easy as it sounds."


"It's tough to put the fork down."


"I have to change my life routine."


"So...reading the paper at lunch and watching the tv while snacking are out for me. Boy is that a change. "


So here's a consensus of thought from last night:


1. I get full faster than I thought.

2. I can eat anything I want but I am becoming more discriminating about what I put in my mouth.

3. Last night I had pizza from Costco. Normally I would eat at least four pieces--two of my favorites, one of the odd one (normally Hawaiian) that Diane would get because I would worry that the poor pizza would feel rejected if I didn't have a slice and then back to my favorite for dessert. I knew that I would be full well before four slices so didn't complain when Diane only brought two. I was full with one. I felt a little hunger come on later but had a cold beverage and I was full again.

4. I've been cheating in the evening by having an herbal tea with a chocolate covered biscotti. I eat it upstairs with my sweetheart while we watch TV. I haven't felt guilty because it's only one and I can't just mindlessly eat once it's gone. Still, it violates the four golden rules. Last night I was fully intending to continue this habit but after applying the principles to help avoid emotional eathing I lost the desire. Hmm.

5. Anyone beside me go to the movies with a big tub of popcorn and become surprised that's it's all gone in the first 30 minutes? Talk about mindless eating.

6. I stayed up for 45 minutes after Diane. This is my usual "grazing" time. This time however I wasn't interested in sitting in front of the TV and eating. Instead I purged a file box that I've had since 1991. It seems that with the change of habit of eating at the table and putting my fork down between bites that I'm not as interested in the TV.

7. Back to the pizza. Conscious eating means that you begin to take more interest in the flavors of the food. Last night the slightly charred pepperoni on the pizza tasted rather bitter. It was not delicious at all. What a waste. Pizza is not as appealing as it once was.


So, I'm becoming more discerning about my activites because the food isn't there to distract me from the silliness of my entertainment choices and I'm more discerning in my food selection because I'm not distracted from the taste. The result is I'm more productive and losing weight.


I wonder if I will be able to keep it up? That really is the test. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Rebecca Pierce said...

Shoot! I forgot to tivo that program! I really need to shed some serious weight too, but I've told myself that I'm not starting until I can buy myself a vita-mix. What's that called? Weight loss avoidance? Anyway, I need to get with it. I think what I really need to do is move to somewhere where the sun actually shines daily...that's not likely to happen. What's that called? Maybe another form of avoidance. "I'll lose weight when..." As if the snoring, aching knees and difficulty concieving weren't bad enough. I'll tune into that show.

La Boheme

Why I Love Opera!