Monday, March 31, 2008

Oh Danny Boy


The story is told of the Irish father taking his son to the railway station to go off to war. He is an older father and some say that he had lost all of his other sons to this same conflict. As the other fathers wept and kissed their boys goodbye he could not, for he was not of that sort. He watched the train leave and on his way home the grief of saying goodbye to another son was too much. He recognized the loss and the ignorance of not being able to tell his boy he loved him. Some say Oh, Danny Boy are the words he penned to atone for his inability to express his love for a son he may never see again.

3 comments:

John Boy said...

The Bells the Bells are calling... I love this song!! It always takes me back to when I first heard it.

John Boy said...

Oops- that was Mimi... I guess I am signed in as John. I made him a profile so he can post too.

Rebecca Pierce said...

I love that song. We sang it in high school choir, and I bought an arrangement to play on the piano then. Since I pretty much haven't learned anything new to play, I still play that! Twelve years of "Danny Boy".

La Boheme

Why I Love Opera!